Thursday, April 4, 2013

Skype chat after thought

I wanted to talk about the Skype chat we had today in class. I found the chat to be very informational and it also made me happy to see people trying to make sure the school program for kids is truly benefiting them. I have always felt that the school systems and how we are taught needed to be revamped but I didn't think many people really were active in changing it. The thing that really sparked my interest was the school systems in other countries. I was so glad to hear that they are looking into a world perspective as well to possibly pull out particular strengths and apply them here. There was one question I thought to ask after class was over. Many schools in other countries teach multiple languages at a very early age when kids are best adapt to learn language. I've also heard that kids who develop multiple languages at an early age actually do better grammatically and in school in general as far as development is concerned. We are one of the only countries that really doesn't push multiple language, do you think it would be beneficial to implement more bilingual teaching elementary schools? Would that benefit us more as a nation? Could that also solve some of our world ignorance problems? I think the ability to learn multiple languages is one we should take more advantage of especially considering we as a whole are compiled of so many different languages and cultures. I was just curious what any one else thought. I do know some grammar rules are very similar between different languages so maybe multiple languages at once helps solidify those rules sooner through constant practice? Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. What a great question! I absolutely think multiple languages would help raise our national intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like learning multiple languages is really influential. If we think about all the most important people in the world, such as the pope or Obama, many of them know multiple languages. I think you are right in thinking of ways to incorporate all the languages into the classroom and make them more speaking intensive.

    ReplyDelete