Monday, April 15, 2013

Rules Project 3: Grammar sign fails

Last time we dove a bit into the Grammar Nazi world and how they can be sometimes be very intense and other times be humorous to get the point across to their victims. Next I want to take a look at real signs in the real world where there was a grammatical fail. For reference I used Your Dictionary Grammar. Here on the site they outline in alphabetical order the 100 top most misspelled words. If you'd like to take a look here is the site link for you:

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/misspelled.html

For this picture we know the correct word has been cleverly spray painted onto the sign by possibly a grammar nazi however we all know that for some reason "drive thru" seems to be widely accepted. However, we know the word is really supposed to be through. I thought about it and wasn't even sure that "thru" is a real word...however i found this blurb that shed a bit of insight on the topic seeing I am not the only one confused on the topic.

Through Versus Thru

It gets a little more dicey when trying to decide between through (t-h-r-o-u-g-h) and thru (t-h-r-u). I actually didn't think t-h-r-u was a word when I first heard your question, but I looked it up just to be sure and was really surprised to find it in the dictionary, where it is listed as an informal, simplified spelling of the word t-h-r-o-u-g-h.

Wow. So in some informal instances it appears that it is OK to use thru; but I think I'd be remiss if I actually told you to go ahead and use it. My impression is that using the spelling t-h-r-u is kind of equivalent to dotting your i's with little hearts: people will know what you mean, but they'll think you aren't a very serious person. I would definitely stick with the more formal and widely accepted spelling: t-h-r-o-u-g-h.

Many people are surprised to learn that finding a word in the dictionary doesn't automatically mean that word is widely accepted by society. You'll find the words thru (t-h-r-u), irregardless, and ain't in many dictionaries, but that doesn't mean you should use them in your cover letters. It just means they are in wide enough use that dictionary makers believe the words must be acknowledged and defined.

There are just a couple of instances I could think of where it might be acceptable to use thru (t-h-r-u). One is in a text message to a friend because, like it or not, the expectations for grammar and spelling in text messages between friends are lower than in other forms of writing. Also, people are probably more likely to accept the informal spelling in places where space is extremely tight, such as on road signs, advertisements, or again, in text messaging.


So this word is in the dictionary but as stated above so are a few others that are not considered grammatically correct such as "ain't" and "irregardless". I'm not sure I deem it a real word but what are your thoughts?





This is one of my favorite fails. The correct spelling is: 
twelfth - Even if you omit the [f] in your pronunciation of this word (which you shouldn't do), it is retained in the spelling. (http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/spelling-and-word-lists/misspelled.html)





It is very important to use quotation marks when you are supposed to because you get situations like that wonderful meme above. The quotation marks here change the command it was meant to be into you could or could not wash your hands. I think if we saw this at a restaurant in the bathroom we would not eat there.


Speaking of the importance of proper punctuation, this meme clearly shows the importance of commas! 


 With out the commas here they are simply describing all the qualities one individual must have in order to use the toilet. When the commas are properly inserted it becomes a list of different types of people who are allowed to use that toilet. I think the chances of finding some one who is a disabled elderly pregnant child is zero but hey that's just me.


This next meme is a sign from management to its customers attempting, and yes I say attempting, to let their customers know that they do not have certain items at this moment in time but will at a later date. Go ahead and try reading this...its a bit painful....


There is nothing else to really add to the discussion of that meme other than it is indeed an epic fail. There are some serious spelling errors, punctuation errors, and just placement of the wrong word all together such as the word used for pencil.


We all love fortune cookies, well at least I like to think so any way, but it would be nice if it was written in correct grammar. In this meme the incorrect tense was used. The correct form would be 'get built'






The next meme is a fail that incorporates most peoples' pet peeve; the right use of to, too, and two. I think I can say that we all know here that the correct form is 'too' not 'to'





This next meme is the wonderful misspelling of the plural of knife. The proper spelling for knife plural is knives. My question is tell me they aren't selling knives and beer at the same location because I'm not sure that is the best idea or the safest for that matter.





Okay, the last failure I am going to show you is regarding using "text talk" on advertising signs...



I understand this maybe if the sign did not have enough space to fit the whole word 'cheese' but from what I can see it would probably fit. Seeing this sign written like this actually bothers me. I chose to put this one last because I wasn't sure if everyone would agree this is a fail. To me it is since they chose to write cheese in a short hand style, but I am curious if you also think this is a fail or something that is acceptable. 

3 comments:

  1. I did not realize that t-h-r-u was actually in the dictionary. I use it as "shorthand" in texts but I just thought it was similar to using lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fortune one was my favorite! It's funny because it is a great message but the grammar takes away from the meaning. Very interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enormous blog you individuals have made there, I entirely appreciate the work.CEO Mark Hurd

    ReplyDelete