Tuesday, April 30, 2013

New Pet Peeve

So my friend was texting me and one of his responses was "kools" instead of cool. Most text language does not bother me. Usually I get the basic understanding that text message language is made to be quick and simple so words are frequently shortened or abbreviated. However...."kools" does not fall under either of those. In fact the word for some reason is even longer than the original. Also can any one explain to me why it is necessary to switch the 'c' with a 'k'? Every time I receive that word in a text I cringe. I was always one of those people that when asked what your pet peeves are I always didn't have an answer but now I most definitely have one.

I started thinking as to why 'kools' was now used instead of 'cool' and really the only thing I could think of is maybe its a generation thing. My friend is 4yrs younger than I. My sister is 6yrs younger than I. My little sister also occasionally uses 'kool' instead of 'cool' and I have noticed so do many of her friends. I looked at conversations between me and my friends at my age and older and I noticed that the word 'cool' was used correctly when needed. To me that says this new wonderful pet peeve of mine is used by the younger generations. I can't think of an acceptable reason to switch out how to spell cool in this case. I am curious what you guys think. Do you think this pushes over the line for acceptable texting language? Or that the word 'kools' for 'cool' is even needed?

2 comments:

  1. Personally I hate the letter 'c' because phonetically there isn't a 'c' sound. C either has the /s/ sound or /k/ sound so it makes sense to me for it to be kools instead of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing is i tend to use the 'k' instead of 'c'. Theres no real reason as to why, except for that its different from how we normally say it. Well for those who want to beat the system use 'k' instead of 'c'

    ReplyDelete